The European Astrobiology Institute and the Space Humanities Group at Lund University organise a summer school:
“Life on Earth and Beyond”
from 30 May to 1 June 2022 on the picturesque island of Ven close to Copenhagen.
Its aim is to give participants a thorough overview of the scientific, historical, philosophical and ethical questions arising in this field. The summer school will, amongst others deal with the following themes:
- Definition of life in a historical and philosophical context
- Philosophical challenges in defining life
- Biochemical evolution
- Evolution of biological functions
- Search for life outside Earth
- Philosophical, ethical and political questions arising with the quest for life on other celestial bodies
The course is open for students and scientists in humanities, natural, social and political sciences. A multitude of highly merited researchers have agreed to teach at the school.
The deadline for application is 1 April 2022 23:59:00 UTC. There are felllowships available for students and early career scientists from participating entities of the EAI (see https://europeanastrobiology.eu/participating-entities/ for a list).
For details, see the website of the school